 |





|
 
|
|



HATC SAMPLE EDITION:






|
 |
20th October, 2025

Preparations for Budapest summit begin


Prime Minister Viktor Orbán announced on Friday that he had spoken by phone with Russian President Vladimir Putin about the upcoming Budapest peace summit, where Putin is expected to meet US President Donald Trump to discuss ending the war in Ukraine.
“Preparations are in full swing!” Orbán wrote on social media, without sharing further details.
Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó said he had been in contact since Thursday evening with his Russian counterpart Sergey Lavrov, Kremlin official Yuri Ushakov, and US deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau.
Szijjártó said American and Russian officials would continue talks on Friday, and a preparatory meeting could take place this week.
Once that happens, the exact date and schedule of the summit will be finalised, and Hungarian authorities will announce logistical details.
“Hungary is ready to ensure safe and peaceful conditions for the talks”, Szijjártó said, adding that Hungary is “the safest country in Europe, one of the safest in the world”.
He emphasised that sanctions on Putin would not affect Hungary’s ability to host the meeting.
“We are a sovereign country. We will welcome President Putin with respect and provide all conditions for negotiations with the US president”, he said.
The Kremlin confirmed the phone call, with spokesman Dmitry Peskov saying that the Trump-Putin meeting could take place within two weeks.
Their previous meeting, held in Alaska on August 15, ended without results or public statements.
|
Sources regularly consulted, with abbreviations used in text: Népszabadság (N); Magyar Hírlap (MH); Világgazdaság (VG); Napi Gazdaság (NG); Magyar Nemzet (MN); Népszava (Nsz); Kossuth Rádió news (KR); nightly TV news (TV).
|
|
|
Contact
Free Trial Subscription
|
 |