HATC SAMPLE EDITION:
   Politics & Foreign Relations

   Economic News

   Business News

   Other News of Interest

   All stories


10th March, 2020

Vác explosion caused by heated grenade



A gas explosion in a ten-storey residential building in Vác on Saturday was caused by two men heating a World War II grenade, at a gas stove, police revealed yesterday.

The explosion in a third-floor flat shattered windows, destroyed a partition and damaged the gas mains. No fire erupted but the 108 residents had to temporarily leave the building. They have since returned.

Paramedics tended to the two men, who sustained light injuries. They thought the grenade had been defused.

Police found large quantities of old ammunition, believed to have been defused, tactical weapons, firearms and wartime relics.

Proceedings have been launched against the two on suspicion of committing an abuse of explosive devices.

The man who sold them the grenade was caught and taken into custody with the help of Counter-Terrorist Centre agents at his home on Monday morning.

Sources regularly consulted, with abbreviations used in text: Népszabadság (N); Magyar Hírlap (MH); Világgazdaság (VG); Napi Gazdaság (NG); Magyar Nemzet (MN); Népszava (Nsz); Kossuth Rádió news (KR); nightly TV news (TV).

Contact Free Trial Subscription