HATC SAMPLE EDITION:
   Politics & Foreign Relations

   Economic News

   Business News

   Other News of Interest

   All stories


28th June, 2018

US authorities separate Hungarian toddler from parents



A two-year-old Hungarian boy has been separated from his parents by US border police after the family tried to enter the US illegally from Canada.

The Foreign Ministry has reportedly contacted the shelter in New York where the boy has been held for weeks.

Reports say he has been unable to communicate with anyone as no-one in the reception shelter speaks Hungarian.

His parents, Regina Zsigmond and Laszlo Kovacs, have fallen victim to new US regulations according to which illegal immigrants are immediately detained, and children who are detained beyond 20 days are placed at various reception stations.

While the boy is in New York, Kovacs is being held at a federal detention facility in Buffalo. Zsigmond was to be taken to North Carolina to face charges of undergoing a sham marriage in 2014 in order to gain US citizenship.

The child’s 23-year-old sister is ready to take the boy but procedures are moving slowly.

She told the tabloid Blikk that she has provided all documents requested by American authorities but has not received any information about the boy’s situation.

US authorities require copies of her fingerprints, which may take a month to process, according to the Times-Union newspaper.

The Foreign Ministry said it has contacted the shelter where the boy is held and is looking at ways to bring him home. (hvg.hu; timesunion.com; blikk.hu; nepszava.hu; ma.hu)
28th June, 2018

Driver jailed over fatal crash



An unspecified court on Wednesday handed down a 7.5-year jail term to the man who, according to the indictment, caused a fatal accident while driving under the influence on Szentendrei ut on March 18, 2017.

Instead of the permitted 70 kilometre per hour speed, the man was driving at 165-170 kilometres per hour when he slammed into a car waiting at a red light, killing two of its occupants instantly.

One of them was 21-year-old world junior kayak champion Richard Janza.

The court also banned the culprit from public affairs for five years and gave him a lifetime ban on driving. (index.hu; hvg.hu; 168ora.hu; ma.hu; hirtv.hu)
28th June, 2018

Store robber sentenced to eight years



Pecs Court on Wednesday sentenced a 33-year-old man to three years in penitentiary after convicting him of robbing tobacco shops in Pecs last summer, stealing Ft 530,000 in total.

The man was found guilty of four counts of robbery and preparations for robbery. He was also ordered to pay nearly Ft 8 million in court costs. (origo.hu; hirado.hu; hvg.hu; magyaridok.hu)
28th June, 2018

Babos top seeded in doubles at Wimbledon



Hungarian-French duo Timea Babos and Kristina Mladenovic have been made the top seeds in the women’s doubles tournament in the Wimbledon tennis championships, due to start next Monday.

Babos and Mladenovic won the Australian Open title earlier this year and won a tournament in Birmingham, England on the weekend.

They were runners-up at Wimbledon in 2016. (nepszava.hu; sport365.hu; origo.hu; zoom.hu)


Contact Free Trial Subscription