HATC SAMPLE EDITION:
   Politics & Foreign Relations

   Economic News

   Business News

   Other News of Interest

   All stories


1st April, 2019

Director quits historical film project



Film director János Szász will not direct a state-funded movie on 15th-century regent János Hunyadi, he announced on Friday.

He said “an insurmountable crisis of confidence” had developed between himself and producer Gábor Ferenczy regarding the production entitled Az utolsó bástya (“The Last Bastion”).

Hungarian National Film Fund CEO Ágnes Havas told Index that “the fact that a producer and a director cannot find common ground in the course of preparing a production due to arising disputes is not unusual in the film trade. We respect their decision”.

After reports emerged late last year that the script was not sufficiently patriotic, pro-government media became critical of film commissioner Andy Vajna and the Film Fund, saying that state-financed movies of recent years were anti-Hungarian in one way or another, Index writes

Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s former family lawyer MP István Bajkai visited the set to see preparations for the film and posed for a photograph with Ferenczy.

Index said the visit could mean that the political support necessary for preparing the large-scale film is still there.

Sources regularly consulted, with abbreviations used in text: Népszabadság (N); Magyar Hírlap (MH); Világgazdaság (VG); Napi Gazdaság (NG); Magyar Nemzet (MN); Népszava (Nsz); Kossuth Rádió news (KR); nightly TV news (TV).

Contact Free Trial Subscription